il faut trop que je taste
il faut je taste trop
il faut que je taste trop
These three ways are confusing me which one means:
I have to taste too much

• A link to the ad, or a picture of it, or a text if there is no picture, is necessary. – LPH Jan 14 '19 at 17:44

taste doesn't exist in French, you have to use the verb

goûter

instead.

maybe you misread the word and it was

teste

From the verb tester = to test

that can be used as a synonym for essayer = to try

Appart from that, the correct structure would be

Il faut trop que je goûte/teste

also i'm not sure why you use too much here, I would have used so bad in this context

| improve this answer | |
  • It was a chocolate ads appeared to me on Facebook with:<br> il faut trop que je taste<br> also using a translator, il faut que je goute trop is also working.<br> and a french speaking friend said he would say: il faut je goute trop<br> – Osama Aboelfath Jan 14 '19 at 13:05
  • unless they kept taste as a wordplay with the name of the brand, tastedoesn't exist in french. Also, que is mandatory after falloir with subjonctive. Some people (especially people born after 2000) tend to remove it to copy the english structure, but this is not correct. – Flying_whale Jan 14 '19 at 13:13
  • A ma connaissance, taster est une variante désuète de tâter. La seule utilisation moderne (bien que très rare) est le "taste-vin" ou "tastevin", coupelle servant à goutter (ou "tâter") le vin. Mais effectivement je n'ai jamais vu "taster" employé hors de ce contexte. – Pierre Jan 14 '19 at 13:33
  • FWIW, I'm a native and "Il faut trop que je goûte" is also how I would have put it. Omitting "que" is not correct as Flying_whale said. The only word that could be skipped in a not so formal setting is "Il" at the beginning of the sentence. Now, about the question itself, my general advice would be to be extremely cautious about using internet ads as a reference. They are often translated via an automated translator and can be absolutely incorrect or even meaningless in the target language. – Batman Jan 14 '19 at 13:40
    Salut, je pose ça là :) french.meta.stackexchange.com/questions/71/… – Teleporting Goat Jan 14 '19 at 15:52

Since it was from an ad, maybe it was a play on word between "Taste" and "Teste" (that we could translate by "try").

I think it was first aimed for young people, who first read "Il faut trop que je teste" => "I have to try". The "trop" here, is only used to emphasis the action. We could translate it by accuenting the verb => "I have to try".

And then, they realise that it was "taste" => "goûter" (which can also be translated to "snak time"). So they say to themselves "Wow this chocolate is so cool" (well they would say it in French though, ...).

So I think this sentence was just used for a marketing spot.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.