I have heard both words used to refer to a book. Some sources in the internet say there is no difference.

My experience from listening to French language is that perhaps "le bouquin" is a more informal word used to refer to modern books. For instance, I have heard Olivier Roland use the word "bouquin" to refer to a book he wrote or to a book he recently read. On the other hand, during première/deuxième lecture in a church it is always "lecture du livre de...".

Is there a difference in the usage of both words? Would one of these words be used more often in a specific region/country?

Your experience is right. Bouquin (from the Middle Dutch boec) is nowadays an informal only way to refer to a book.

Bouquin also often carries an emotional charge, either positive or negative while livre is neutral.

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.