In the following sentence:

Il en existe de deux types.

I think en means two types of it. But I don't understand why de is needed here.

And what makes it different from the following sentence, which I think is also correct.

Il en existe deux types.

• You could understand your sentence better by reading it thus: « Il en existe [et sont] de deux types. » Technically en in this sentence actually can't replace the complement of types but the agent of existe, even though those expressions essentially designate the same entities. – Luke Sawczak Feb 1 at 16:40

There is no difference in the end ; both forms amount to describing the same context ; however it is done according to two ways of looking at the context.

• Il en existe des/de grands. Here, the article is necessary; it's a partitive.
  • Il en existe des/de petits.

If we consider the two example together, we can say we have two types, the type of the big ones and the type of the small ones. If we refer to the types only, we say « Il en existe deux types. ». We can consider however the elements themselves as belonging to two categories and for that a préposition is needed ; it has the same form as the partitive article "de", but it is not the same word ; we then say « Il en existe de deux types. »

It is similar in English : They exist in two types (They come in two types.). "They exist" corresponds to "Il en existe"; only the preposition is different.

(TLFi) b) De marque la descendance, la filiation; l'origine. Jésus-Christ qui pour le salut de tous les hommes est né de la très Sainte Vierge Marie

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.