I read a quotation from a famous French mathematician a few years ago (in English translation), and I am trying to find it again.

I believe it was attributed to either Pierre-Simon Laplace or Joseph-Louis Lagrange. I don't remember the exact phrase, but the gist of it was something like, "the key to a long and happy life is to be on good terms with the government of wherever you live".

If anyone knows what I'm talking about, I'd really appreciate a source!

closed as off-topic by temporary_user_name, Teleporting Goat, Rémi Henry, Nino Filiu, Nikana Reklawyks Feb 17 at 16:41

• This question does not appear to be about French language within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

This has nothing to do with the French language itself. There are subreddits for this type of thing. Off-topic imo. – temporary_user_name Feb 6 at 3:35

I can't find the original, but most likely it'd be from Laplace, not just a mathematician but a politician known principally for his ability to change his allegiance in a blink to any incoming ruler..

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.