I was watching Haneke's Time of the Wolf last night. Frequently, I couldn't hear the 'suis' in sentences where I would expect it to occur. Unhelpfully, I cannot remember a specific example, but perhaps someone said what sounded like 'Je fatigué'. Is this just my bad hearing, or slang, or is something else going on?

Était-il complètement absent ('Je fatigué') ou bien à moitié avalé ('Chuis fatigué') ? – Mathieu Bouville Feb 25 at 17:57
  • I guess what you heard is more of a "chuis (fatigué)" that may have sounded like "Je (fatigué)" too, as Mathieu mentionned above. This is very common and both ways may come pretty close when said rather fast. – Mat Feb 25 at 18:02
  • Thanks both - you're probably right; unfortunately, it's really not worth watching the film to make sure. :-( – Strawberry Feb 25 at 18:04
    Duplicate of De « je suis » à « ch'u » ? – jlliagre Feb 25 at 19:15

You have different way to say it in french, if we use Je suis fatigué. as default

We have few others informal way to say it:

Je fatigue.

J'suis fatigué.

Jsuis fatigué.

Chuis fatigué.

Ch'u fatigué.

Ch'fatigué.

please note that these are familiar and often not correct while writing, they are more used for example when speaking to a close friend or a family member

• The problem is that Strawberry can't hear any of these forms ; "suis" is completely missing, says that person. Do people shorten the form further and say "Che fatigué"? I've never heard that. – LPH Feb 25 at 18:56
  • Thank you I just updated my answer but I didn't realise that the question was so unclear. – Ced Feb 25 at 19:13
  • You are missing Ch'u fatigué and even Ch'fatigué which is what the OP heard. This was already discussed, although in French. – jlliagre Feb 25 at 19:17
  • Thank you for your comment, I updated the answer. – Ced Feb 25 at 19:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.