I just want to make sure I've translated these correctly:

1) I want to say:

Love makes the sweetest and most delicate adversities in life.

I render it in French as follows:

L'amour fait les plus douces et les plus sensibles infortunes de la vie.

2) I want to say:

Without (the slightest) hope of return

I render it in French as:

Sans espoir de retour.

3) I also wanted to ask (as this is for a poem) is it okay to say the mixed language sentence:

Love should be a gift sans espoir de retour!

closed as too broad by Stéphane Gimenez Mar 10 at 23:37

Please edit the question to limit it to a specific problem with enough detail to identify an adequate answer. Avoid asking multiple distinct questions at once. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

• I edited your question. Note that contrary to French, there is not a space between the word and the ponctuation signs. – Dimitris Mar 9 at 22:47

I would keep the same adjective for "delicate":

L'amour crée les plus douces et les plus délicates infortunes de la vie.

The various meanings of delicate (pleasant, weak, fragile, sensitive...) are exactly the same with the French délicat.

Not sure if you want it but "the slightest" can be translated by le moindre:

Sans (le moindre) espoir de retour.

The last sentence is fine but would benefit from typographical hints:

Love should be a gift sans espoir de retour!

or:

Love should be a gift sans espoir de retour !

• wow thanks this is great :) , I was just wondering though ( still tinkering with my poem ) what is the literal translation of infortunes I've heard it means misfortunes and adversities is this correct ?, is there perhaps a three syllable word that means trials or challenges I think it might be better because I'm speaking about the difficulty of tending a flower in my poem , the sentence before goes- It's tricky ; pruning , fighting bees....see : – bhapi Mar 10 at 11:04
  • Infortune is literary and has indeed the meanings you state. Trials and challenges might be translated by défis or revers. Both défis de la vie and revers de la vie are idiomatic but they would lack a syllable. – jlliagre Mar 10 at 11:19
  • damn, can you think of any three syllable words that have a similar meaning something similar ? would obstacles or probleme work ? – bhapi Mar 10 at 11:25
  • as in could I say , l'amour cree le plus grand douce et le plus |grand delicates obstacle de la vie . where the | represents a break to go to the next line ? ( also do you use delicates instead of delicate because we're talking about a multiple number of events ?) – bhapi Mar 10 at 11:42
  • That would be l'amour crée les plus doux et [les plus] délicats obstacles de la vie. Adjectives do agree in gender and number in French so its délicat, délicate, délicats or délicates depending on the noun is masculine/feminine and singular/plural. – jlliagre Mar 10 at 13:28

"1)" is correct;

I wonder whether "make for" wouldn't be a more appropriate verb; it correspond fairly well to the choice I made in French : you couldn't use "faire" in French.

"Sans espoir de retour" is perfect.

Well, mixing languages is fine as long as there is a common understanding; first of all you have to be understood. As "sans espoir de retour" does not introduce a new concept, as its English equivalent is exact there is no need for that ; however if there exists a particular context involving French culture you can do that; it was Edgar Allan Poe who could do that in his work and as a matter of fact in connection with French; he would put in whole sentences, as for instance in his short story "The Murders in The Rue Morgue".

• hmm I wasn't expecting it to be so drastically different for (1) I actually got it from herehttps://frenchtogether.com/french-love-quotes/ but tried to make a few adjustments so it would rhyme with bloomed on the 10th syllable and be on the 20th . what does the link actually say ( its the Madeleine de Scudery quote about a quarter down the page ) – bhapi Mar 9 at 21:48
  • also is there any way to express the sentence you gave with the restriction on rhyme I mentioned ? – bhapi Mar 9 at 21:48
  • @can'tcauchy I see one part of the problem; I thought "doucers" couldn't be anything eles than the adjective and the "missing "grandes" didn't help to clear out that erroneous deduction. I don't get your syllable count (don't understand it). – LPH Mar 9 at 22:31
  • @can'tcauchy You can use this construction: " L'amour fait les plus douces et les plus sensibles infortunes de la vie.", but of course you modify the quote. – LPH Mar 9 at 22:45
  • on the tenth syllable of the sentence I want a long ooo sound like plus as this then rhyme with bloomed, on the twentieth syllable of the sentence I want an eeee seound like vie , so it rhymes with be – bhapi Mar 9 at 23:57

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.