I used to think that pronouncing the verb "créer" like "créyer" was a specificity of West African French, but recently heard it said by a Morrocan and a Normand.

What is the most common pronunciation of "créer"?
In general, which dialects usually add "y" between two "é"?

The most used pronunciation of "créer" (and considered correct in France French) is [kʀee].

As far as I know, it's pretty common for people who have Arabic as their first language to add a y sound, because the é sound is absent from their language. Because of that, pronouncing two in a row can be hard.

• Upvote for the first part of the answer, which already answers the question. The second part might be correct, I don't know... – Laurent S. Mar 18 at 14:52
  • Oui, c'est juste ce que j'ai observé personnellement, ça vaut ce que ça vaut. Ce serait intéressant d'avoir le point de vue de quelqu'un dont la langue maternelle est l'arabe. – Teleporting Goat Mar 18 at 15:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.