I've been struggling to understand something that must be really easy I'm failing to get it though. What is the difference between "je veux d'argent" and "je veux de l'argent"? Moreover, I think that in the first the "d'argent" would be "du + argent = d'argent ". Thank you in advance.

"Je veux d'argent" is ungrammatical.

"De l'" is used instead of "du" in front of words that begin with a vowel ("de l'or", "de l'iridium").

The definite article form would be "Je veux l'argent" (I want the money).

• Merci qoba. Je le comprends maintenant ! – Iron Maiden Mar 24 at 0:51
  • De rien. Et en parlant de ça, on dit "je comprends", pas "je le comprends" :) – qoba Mar 24 at 0:53

Je veux l'argent que tu me dois.

Je veux de l'argent pour acheter une nouvelle voiture.

=

I want the money you owe me.

I want (some) money to buy a new car.

The partitive article (some) can be omitted in English. In French (du/de l'/des) is not omitted so.

Note also

Je  voudrais  du  pain->J'ai besoin de pain (avoir besoin de+du/de la=>de).

Je voudrais de l'argent->J'ai besoin d'argent (argent is a masculine word starting with a vowel).

Cf.

J'ai besoin d'argent (besoin de+de la where de preposition and de la partitive article)

with

J'ai besoin de l'argent que tu me dois.

Here (avoir besoin) de (preposition) + de la (definite article) gives de l' (du argent becomes de l'argent).

'du' is 'de + le'. Thus, 'du + argent' is 'de + le + argent', which gives 'de l'argent'.

'd'argent' would come from 'de + argent' (e.g. 'jeu d'argent').

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.