I minored in French in college, and am a fairly proficient reader of French. For practice, I recently finished reading through the Harry Potter series in French, and got myself to the point where I could read at nearly the same speed that I read English.

The issue is that my conversational French is well behind my reading ability, due to lack of practice. Given that I live in a part of the US with basically no French speakers, how can I best improve my conversational French, both in listening/comprehension and speaking?

italki.com is one way to connect with native speakers (ignore paid tutoring, just find partners and connect over Skype) – Luke Sawczak Mar 28 at 17:42
    @Emma Amazing, that group has a monthly conversation event at a restaurant one block from my house! – Haydentech Mar 28 at 18:12

A trip to the province of Quebec! Not too far from the US.

• Not too far from SOME parts of the US. According to Google Maps, it would be a 20 hour drive for me. – Haydentech Apr 3 at 20:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.