Je n'arrive pas à trouver une référence en ligne pour la traduction de cet objet :

Crazy straw

« Paille folle » ?

• J'appris une nouvelle expression:-)! – Dimitris May 2 at 21:59
  • @Dimitris Moi aussi ! Merci — as-tu trouvé ce site tout simplement en cherchant « paille folle » ? J'aurais dû chercher cette expression au lieu de la suggérer en m'attendant à ce qu'elle ne soit une traduction trop littérale ... – Luke Sawczak May 2 at 22:01
  • Yes I found it just by googling paille folle. Should I post my comment as an answer? – Dimitris May 2 at 22:04
    @Greg > I actually never heard anybody give an exact name to these neither, as you say in your answer there's a great chance any tentative to name it will be followed with an explanation. I'm not sure how "crazy straw" identifies it in English. – Laurent S. May 13 at 14:08

Looking it up on some merchant's webites, you can find different names

• pailles à boucles
  • pailles bouclées
  • pailles fantaisie (although that one can apply to any straws with an unusual design)
  • pailles folles (although, I , as a native speaker, have never heard it and would be quite puzzled if someone asked me "peux-tu amener des pailles folles ?" - I suspect it is rather a simple literal translation of the English term that merchants got through Google Translate)

In everyday conversations, I have the feeling (some may argue) that none of these terms will point unambiguously to the type of straws shown in the picture. If someone had to ask specifically for such a straw, they could have to elaborate a bit to be sure:

Tu peux acheter des pailles à boucle ? Tu sais, des pailles qui font des boucles, et où le liquide passe aussi dans les ronds, comme les enfants aiment bien, pas de simples pailles toutes droites.

Quick googling reveals that you are absolutely right. It is paille folle. All of the links I found though correspond to ads. That is why I do not include any of them.

@Survenant9r7 En anglais ? Yup, crazy straws were a memorable part of my childhood here in Ontario, even if it was 1/10 having them and 9/10 wishing we were the kind of family that had them more often. I would imagine my friends used it too. – Luke Sawczak May 3 at 3:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.