I'm a beginner to the French language, and I've heard about the acronym BANGS to describe adjectives that precede nouns (Beauty, Age, Number, Goodness, Size). My textbook asked to translate "the kind woman" into French, and the answer given is "la femme gentille". Since kindness falls into the 'Goodness' category, wouldn't it be "la gentille femme"? Thanks.

• Possible duplicate of "une plus vieille femme" or "une femme plus vieille" – Toto May 5 at 10:15
  • I do not think this question to be a duplicate; this problem of the place of the adjective is often specific to the particular case and the present case is different: both places are relevant in the case brought by the OP, whereas in the would-be duplicate only one is, no definite meaning being recognised for one of the two possible positions. – LPH May 5 at 11:57

You've heard about the BANGS rule but it's been said also that this rule is not without exceptions.

There are two possibilities here; if you're talking about a particular case you'd place the adjective before;

• La gentille femme que vous êtes ne sait pas qu'il y a des gens qui essaierons d'abuser d'elle.

If you speak generically, that is if for instance you have to make a statement characterising women who are kind you will place it after;

• La femme gentille n'est pas nécessairement une femme qui fréquente l'église tous les dimanches ni même une femme religieuse.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.