“Tu ne comprendrais quand même jamais.”

Does this mean “you wouldn’t understand, anyway”? If not, how can I best translate that? Can I even put “quand même” before “jamais,” or does it go after?

Not sure why other answers consider the conditional mood incorrect here but your sentence is just fine:

Tu ne comprendrais quand même jamais.

Alternatives can be:

De toute façon, tu ne comprendrais jamais.

Malgré tout, tu ne comprendrais jamais.

It is ok to put "quand même" before "jamais".

But, I would say either

Tu ne comprendras quand même jamais.

or

Tu ne comprendrais quand même pas.

If you want to be a little more sustained, you can also use "Tu ne comprendras donc jamais."

• Thank you! What meaning does “donc” take on in your example? – tssmith2425 May 22 at 7:37
  • In this context, it means about the same as "quand même", it is mostly for emphasis. It just sounds more sustained. Depending on what the context of your text is, it can be more appropriate – Kilarn123 May 22 at 7:45
  • Got it, thank you. I’m writing some song lyrics, mostly in English. But I threw in a couple lines of French: “je ne crois pas que t’en es déjà là / mais tu ne comprendras quand même jamais” to mean “I don’t think you’re there yet / but you’ll never understand anyway.” At least, that’s what I want it to say. – tssmith2425 May 22 at 8:18
  • Not at all, "donc" is a word meant to express a consequence ; "quand même" expresses the disregard of a condition, order, principle, etc. that has been previously stated, the happening of something in spite of adversity, contrary conditions, etc. "Donc" cannot be assimilated with "quand même". However, it's perfectly correct to use "quand même" before "jamais". – LPH May 22 at 8:50
  • @LPH The primary meaning of "donc" cannot cannot be assimilated, but that is not the only meaning. It can also introduce a conclusion or show surprise (source). Here it is to introduce the conclusion that the person will never understand. – Kilarn123 May 22 at 9:19

“Tu ne comprendrais quand même jamais.”

Is incorrect in French, I would rather say:

“Tu ne comprendras donc jamais.”

That can be translated as:

So you'll never understand.

• Could I say “tu ne comprendras quand même jamais”? Or that doesn’t work either? – tssmith2425 May 22 at 8:20
  • I'm sorry but no you can't, you can either say "Tu ne comprendras jamais." or "Tu ne comprendras donc jamais." – Ced May 22 at 8:28

"Quand même" expresses the disregard of a condition, order, principle, etc. that has been previously stated, the happening of something in spite of adversity, contrary conditions, etc. "Donc" cannot be assimilated with "quand même" ;"donc" is a word meant to express a consequence. However, it's perfectly correct to use "quand même" before "jamais".

• Tu ne comprendrais quand même jamais.
    You wouldn't ever understand anyway., You wouldn't understand anyway, ever.

A good paraphrase for "quand même" is "de toute façon", which rhymes well with the English "anyway".

• Tu ne comprendrais de toute façon jamais.

There is the possibilité to front this adverbial locution or to reject it at the end after a comma ;

• De toute façon, tu ne comprendrais jamais. _ Tu ne comprendrais jamais, de toute façon

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.