For context, I'm creating a website form that requests the user's name. A direct translation of the phrase would be something like

Veuillez entrer votre nom

but I've heard that "saisir" can be used when referring to data entry. Would

Veuillez saisir votre nom

make any sense? Or is there a completely different option that would be more correct?

You also have "Veuillez renseigner votre nom", just in case – Maryannah May 28 at 6:24

They are both absolutely correct and both mean:

Please enter your name.

However for a website I would rather use:

Veuillez saisir votre nom.

It is also usual to simply see:

Nom

As you can see on the Google register page:

enter image description here

• As a sidenote, Google is a specific case because they rely on their Material UI design, which advises to use short sentences (or only words) to describe the inputs and buttons. – Maryannah May 28 at 6:24
  • Well by having myself strong knowledge about web development, I can assure you Google register page isn't specific, but more a nowaday-standard. – Ced May 28 at 8:08
  • You're being confused : it's not a standard, it's a design guildeline. I'm not saying only a few people do that : I'm saying that in the case of Google, it's because of their Material Design. Sure, it's done by a lot of people. But it's not a standard at all ! In case you doubt it, here are the guildelines for Material texts. – Maryannah May 28 at 9:01
  • Of course, I agree with you so :) Interesting link btw. – Ced May 28 at 9:11

Both "entrer" and "saisir" are correct.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.