I know that in adverbial phrases, “tout” means quite, very, right, all, etc.

Is it correct to use “tout” to mean “right” in contexts such as the following:

If I wanted to say “it’s right here,” after having found something I was looking for in a store, for example, could I say “c’est tout ici”? Or would it be “c’est par ici” (it’s over here)?

He’s right next to me = il est à tout côté de moi ?

I’ll be right back = je reviens tout de suite ?

I’m trying to get a handle on the many uses of “tout” and its various forms. I understand for the most part, but there are so many possibilities that my head spins sometimes.

I can't comment it out but you might say "il est tout à côté de moi" and not "il est à tout côté de moi" – purerstamp May 31 at 22:10
    Oops, I knew that, and made a typo in my original post. Thank you for pointing this out. :) – tssmith2425 Jun 1 at 2:21

You can sometimes use "tout" to mean "right", it's partially true; (the translations come out of Harrap and Robert Collins, if nothing else is mentioned)

• It's right at the top. : C'est tout en haut.
  • It's right at the other end. : C'est tout à l'autre bout.
  • I'll be right back. : Je reviens tout de suite.
  • It's right in the middle. : C'est au beau milieu.
  • It's right in front of you. : C'est droit devant vous.
  • It's right behind you. : C'est juste derrière vous.

• It's right here. C'est juste ici. ref

• He's right next to me. : Il est juste à côté de moi. ref

You can also say synonymously "Il est tout à côté de moi.", even though it's not used as frequently.

"C'est par ici." means really "It's somewhere around here." but people will use this sentence sometimes to mean "It's right here."

Par ici : in these parts, over here, around here, hereabout, round here. ref

• It seems in your explanation that “droit,” as in “c’est droit devant vous,” could be related to “tout droit” which I know means “straight ahead” or “straight on.” This makes sense to me as your example means “straight/right ahead of you.” I hear “tout droit” when I’m using my GPS to find directions. J’ai un bon moment déclic ! – tssmith2425 May 28 at 20:27
  • I think I can also use “tout” as in my initial guess of “il est tout à côté de moi,” as well as your example. I actually saw this phrase here (in the second paragraph): thoughtco.com/tout-a-lheure-1371417 – tssmith2425 May 28 at 20:30
  • @tssmith2425 "J’ai un bon moment déclic ! " is not correct; I don't know what you mean. – LPH May 28 at 20:31
    @tssmith2425 I see, it's really "J'ai eu un déclic.", it's modern French [reverso]( linguee.fr/francais-anglais/traduction/…). – LPH May 28 at 21:01
    @tssmith2425 You mean a fleeting but strong conviction you had it right? Then maybe you're trying to say "j'ai eu un (bon) déclic sur le moment." – LPH May 28 at 21:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.