I've already heard in Orne (Basse Normandie) a guy saying, at the end of some sentences "tu vois l'humour que je donne?" in a way similar to "tu vois" , "you know what I mean".

I suspect that this is an expression coming from the 70's.

I wonder whether this expression has already been fashionable all over France, or whether it is proper to Orne (département 61).

I have never heard that expression. – jlliagre May 30 at 20:07
  • jlliagre. Neither did I before I went to Orne.... – Ray LittleRock May 30 at 20:10
    I have never been in the Orne, outside crossing it by train but that didn't gave me a chance to hear the locals ;-) – jlliagre May 30 at 20:18
  • @RayLittleRock are you refering to the whole sentence, or just the "tu vois" part ? – Maryannah May 31 at 11:45

I know some people (between 50 and 80 years old) who are from Orne. They've never heard that before and I also asked my parents who are from Vendée and Lorraine and they are the same. It may not help you but it replies to the first question haha!

But I'm pretty sure this expression is not popular in France even in Normandie and is definitely not fashionable here in France.

• @purestamp.Thanks for your research! :) – Ray LittleRock May 31 at 19:16
  • @RayLittleRock No worries it was a pleasure.. oh and my mother told me this expression sounds very weird ^.^ Bu thank you to introduce such as a not common expression ! – purerstamp May 31 at 20:42
  • If it is not even poplar in Orne, it may be self-invented. Some people invent words or expressions, which become part of their character. Some of these words or expressions become famous. I doubt this one will. – Steph Jun 16 at 9:48

I have never heard that expression but I have already heard expressions that are similar :

• Tu vois (bien) -> "You perceive" (I have never heard to perceive before, thanks to Google translate!)
  • Tu vois (bien) ce que je veux dire -> "You know what I mean"
  • Tu vois can simply be translated by you see in both sentences. In any case, the question is about l'humour que je donne, not tu vois. – jlliagre Jun 16 at 8:24

My answer will be very short: I have never heard (nor read) anything like that in my whole life. :)

• This does not provide an answer to the question. To critique or request clarification from an author, leave a comment below their post. - From Review – Toto Jun 16 at 11:21
  • @Toto The question is "Has anybody heard this?" I answer, as a 46 native French speaker, that I haven't and, to the extent of my knowledge, no, this is extremely rare. No critique nor request of clarification involved. – Matt Jun 16 at 12:05
  • Certes, mais cette réponse gagnerait à être un peu étoffée, telle quel c'est plus un commentaire qu'une réponse. – Toto Jun 16 at 14:23
  • @Toto OK, je comprends ce point de vue, je prendrai garde à développer mes réponses à l'avenir. – Matt Jun 16 at 15:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.