In American English, words such as “like” and “literally” have become filler words over the last few decades, and their use as filler words is attached to certain demographics (for example, see this article on the history of the use of like as filler word — older speakers would typically not use "like" this way).

What are some similar filler words that are used by younger French speakers nowadays?

closed as too broad by Lambie, purerstamp, Gilles Jun 8 at 19:17

Please edit the question to limit it to a specific problem with enough detail to identify an adequate answer. Avoid asking multiple distinct questions at once. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because too broad. – Lambie Jun 7 at 23:23
    I am glad to see that what I hear from my teen children (together with images of a ruined future) is actually common :) – WoJ Jun 8 at 10:05
  • I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because this question belongs to a forum about french trends and french teens/pop culture. Moreover this question is more of a subject of discussion. – purerstamp Jun 8 at 10:55
  • @Lambie I've edited the question to make it clearer and less broad – qoba Jun 8 at 21:34

Genre (~like)

T'sais (you know)

En fait (~actually)

J'veux dire (~ I mean)

Nan (~nah)

Quoi (~like, at the end of a sentence)

With some mais in-between to string them together... Which gives things such as:

T'sais mais genre en fait, il lui avait pas dit, quoi... (~you know but like actually, he didn't tell her, like)

Nan mais genre j'veux dire, truc de ouf quoi (~No but like I mean, crazy, like)

the last example is golden (and the overall list +1) – WoJ Jun 8 at 10:06

Du coup (~so/then depending if it is at the begining or the end of the sentence respectively)

t'inquiètes (don't worry or no worries)

This is usually the moment when I start to worry.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.