I understand that there are set phrases it can be used in (as mentioned in my first question about “non mais”) but what cases would it be used most naturally?

« Non mais sérieux, c’est quoi ça ? »

« Non mais il est fou ! »

« Non mais pourquoi ? »

Are these natural? If not, what are some good ways to use it to emphasize what you’re saying and what do they mean? Is there an equivalent in English?

• English shouldn't be the topic here. You can ask for an explanation about its purpose and the circumstances in which it's used, but the question should not be focused on finding an English equivalent. I'm closing this until it's rephrased. – Stéphane Gimenez Jun 9 at 14:09
  • thank you, i changed the question! – jacoballens Jun 9 at 19:50

"Non mais" should obviously not be translated literally. It replaces a WTH (or WTF, or "Wait!"...) in the sense of "why on Earth would that happen/be?".

It could be replaced with "Attends !..." (literal translation of "Wait!"), or "sans déconner" (literal translation of "No kidding!") like in:

Attends/Non mais/Sans déconner ! Tu es en train de me dire que...

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.