I'm having trouble understanding the construct of this sentence.

"Pourquoi l'ont-ils construite aussi grande ?"

How is it different in meaning from this?

"Pourquoi ont-ils construit une aussi grande ville ?"

1 Answer 1

Considering in your first sentence, l' refers to a city, it can be rephrased to Pourquoi ont-ils construit cette ville aussi grande ?. l' is a pronoun that replaces the noun city.

The difference in meaning with the second sentence is very tiny.

Depending on the context, there might be a nuance, the second one might be a more general question, sort of Is it useful to build such a big city, in general?, while the first one might be more specific, sort of Is it useful for this city in particular to be so big?. But I bet in most cases, both sentences will be actually equivalent.

Note: the question is not specific to French language, actually. The same one would apply in English between Why did they build it so big? / Why did they build this city so big? and Why did they build such a big city?

• What was confusing to me was that, is "grande" in the first an adverb?
    – Dasshoes
    Jun 10, 2019 at 7:31
  • Nope, it is an adjective. In French, we call this syntax, adjectif attribut du complément d'objet direct (COD) and when the COD (complement, here ville) is replaced by a pronoun, the adjectif gets separated from its qualified name. Other examples : Je trouve ce site utile => Je le trouve utile.
    – Steph
    Jun 10, 2019 at 9:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.