mdr violet qui a dit à clementine de sauter du pont alors qu elle a literalement perdu sa jambe ca me tue de rire

Bon, ceci est copié d’un commentaire sur YouTube.

Pourquoi est-ce qu’on a dit « violet qui a dit à clementine » au lieu de « violet quand elle a dit à clementine » ou « violet disant à clementine » ?

Ça veut dire « violet saying to clementine » c’est ça ?

Your analysis is more or less correct but, though trivial and "twitteresque", the sentence must be analyzed as a whole.

Removing the first interjection "mdr" which means "lol", the sentence is structured as "violet qui a dit [something] , ça me tue de rire". In this sentence, "ça" is a pronoun that refers to all the beginning, which means "violet qui a dit [something] " can be analyzed as the subject of "me tue de rire". The situation of violet saying something to Clementine is what makes the writer laugh to death.

As for a suitable translation, yes, I suppose you could say :

Lol, Violet telling Clementine to jump off the bridge while she really lost her leg, this makes me laugh to death

Please note, as you mention "Violet quand elle a dit à Clémentine..." that this would focus on Violet, not on her saying something. For example, « Violet, quand elle a dit à Clémentine... , a été vraiment méchante » (« Violet, when she told Clémentine to..., was really nasty »)

You can translate it by:

"Violet told Clementine to jump [...]"

• "Violet quand elle a dit à Clementine de sauter [...]", this example is not really correct regarding to the next part of the sentence. A correct transformation is: "Alors que Violet a dit à Clementine de sauter, Clementine avait déjà perdu sa jambe".
  • "Violet disant à Clementine de [...]" doesn't make any sense with the next part of the sentence too. The word "disant" tells us that she is doing an action. You could say for example: "Violet disant à Clementine de sauter du pont, était en train de rire". This form is really close to "Violet saying to Clementine [...]"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.