To say someone is gorgeous what do people usually say? And for something nonliving? Would it just be “magnifique” and “merveilleux” and stuff like that?

In French, we can translate "gorgeous" as different words depending on the context.
To describe a woman we got multiple words like "somptueuse" and "charmante".
For an object it could be "magnifique" and "merveilleux" as well as "raffiné" and "élegant".

• could somptueux/charmant be used for men too? to say a man is gorgeous? – jacoballens Jun 20 at 9:22
  • "somptueux" and "charmant" may be used for men, it just seemed unnatural for me to describe a man as gorgeous, but yes. – Sriks Jun 20 at 9:31
    Charmant(e) can be used to qualify more than just the external look: you can say someone is charmant because they are extremely nice, helpful, compassionate, etc. It is very common to say eg "J'ai eu quelqu'un de charmant au téléphone" - obviously, you can't tell if this person looks good or not. Still, you can also add sublime to the list. – Greg Jun 20 at 10:15

For a drop dead kind of gorgeous woman, we could say canon :

'tain, elle est vraiment canon, la fille!

Applied to a man, I would use beau gosse :

Il est beau gosse

or :

C'est un beau gosse.

Beau gosse has been recently abbreviated in bg /beʒe/. I first heard it two years ago used by my ten-year-old son. It can be used as a form of address more or less ironically :

Alors, bg, ça va!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.