Please, I came across this expression and I couldn't understand it (être flingué) could anyone give me its definition and put it in an example? Thanks in advance

closed as off-topic by Stéphane Gimenez Jun 24 at 10:16

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "Please look up the meaning of words or expressions in a dictionary first. If you did so and found nothing satisfactory, mention that in your question. Do give context for where you heard or saw the word." – Stéphane Gimenez
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

• Have you look at a dictionnary first? – Toto Jun 24 at 8:45
    Please change the title of your question to something more specific. Anyone that posts a question hopes someone will answer their question... – Greg Jun 24 at 8:50
  • If what you found in a dictionary doesn't seem to fit in the context in which you heard the word, do mention the context in your question. – Stéphane Gimenez Jun 24 at 10:17
  • @StéphaneGimenez Did you find anything? OP didn't say they looked in a dictionary but I couldn't find anything satisfying. I don't think it should be on hold. – Teleporting Goat Jun 24 at 11:09

"être flingué" generally means to be exhausted. Note that this is an extremely familiar expression and can't be used in a professional context (unless you are at ease with your colleagues).

More specifically, "être flingué" can also mean that you are drunk or under the effect of a drug depending on the context.

An example of a use of "être flingué" would be :

"J'ai super mal dormi, je suis flingué"

roughly meaning

"I slept really poorly, I'm exhausted"

In argot (the French language used by the underworld), a flingue is a gun. Hence, the verb flinguer means "to shoot at someone with a gun", or "to kill someone with a gun". Ex:

Le terroriste a tenté de fuir, et la police l'a flingué.

Used in familiar usage, it can be used figuratively, and it then means either:

• to break something

J'ai tellement joué à la Playstation que j'ai flingué la manette

• to criticize heavily someone or something or to give a bad rating

Les professeurs ont tous flingué son travail de fin d'étude. Le directeur des ventes a flingué les vendeurs qui n'avaient pas atteint leurs objectifs.

Être flingué is the passive form of the verb and can be used for any of the meanings above.

• Être flingué c'est être (très) fatigué, je sais pas comment t'as fait pour inclure toutes les autres définitons mais pas celle-là ^^ – Teleporting Goat Jun 24 at 10:08
    Ce film est flingué par la critique - c'est aussi être flingué , non ? Hors contexte (non donné par la question), j'ai donné les sens courants. – Greg Jun 24 at 11:06

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.