Les Japonais ont donné une carte colorée à Trump pour l’aider à comprendre leurs investissements aux USA.

I wonder if this expression (apparently meaning "give limited free rein to Trump") is commonly recognised as a tongue-in-cheek variant of "donner carte blanche à Trump"?

I also notice the addition of the indefinite article: "donner une carte colorée à Trump".

When I read the article I see no metaphorical meaning in this expression. Trump was given a colourful map to help him understand the Japanese investments in the US. Compare to headline in the Independent relating same invent. And both articles show the map Shinzo Abe gave Trump, it is, indeed, colourful. – Laure SO - Écoute-nous Jun 30 at 16:13
    It doesn't to me, it says no more than the headline in the Independent. And I know no French idiom including carte colorée. – Laure SO - Écoute-nous Jun 30 at 16:36
    @temporary_user_name If you go by this French sentence alone, it isn't as much of a stretch as you make it out to be to interpret it the way I did: "Japan lets Trump handle the situation the way he sees fitalbeit partially – so that he will come to take stock of Japan's overall contribution (from a wider perspective)". – Con-gras-tue-les-chiens Jun 30 at 19:16
    The only tongue-in-cheek wit in this carte colorée allusion is the reference to Juncker having used "brightly coloured flash cards to explain international trade to Trump. The Slate article does allude to this episode and links to it. – Laure SO - Écoute-nous Jun 30 at 19:24
    The original article in the Independent is tongue-in-cheek - colourful doesn't just mean coloré, it means something like tout en couleurs i.e. appealing to children. The overall tone of the original comes across in the Slate article, I would say. FWIW I don't think donné une carte colorée is tongue-in-cheek if we are talking about the choice of words, but then the only reason to mention that the chart was in colour is to get across that the Japanese were treating Trump like a child - i.e. to poke fun. – user20927 Jul 1 at 5:25

You might be reading too much into the carte colorée. It doesn't make me think of donner carte blanche. It would be useful if you could give us a bit more information about the quotation, especially where it's taken from. With the little you provide, it's difficult to see if the author is dissing Trump by suggesting he's in need of a coloured table to understand things.

• The link to the article was given in my comment above, and I also link to the original article in the Independent. – Laure SO - Écoute-nous Jun 30 at 19:17
  • Thank you, I'd missed it. Same old lazy journalism in French or in English. – user21018 Jun 30 at 19:22
  • I just read again the Slate article and found a nice and basic spelling mistake : "Il lui a donné une carte du pays simple et coloré". What a joke! – user21018 Jul 1 at 6:45

Oui mais pas dans le sens de « donner carte blanche » (contexte) ; cette association est à mon avis invraisemblable. En anglais on avait colorful map (The Independent : « Japan gives Trump colourful map to help him understand its investment in US ; ‘Kudos to Japan, they figured out how best to interact with a toddler. So sad’ » ; certaines sources ont chart) et l'article de Slate est semble-t-il une traduction et coloré traduit colorful. Même si l'expression carte blanche existe (par emprunt au français) en langue anglaise il est impossible à mon avis qu'on ait associé map à carte (blanche) dans la langue originale. Je trouve que carte en couleur aurait été plus usuel. Mais on semble jouer la carte de la référence à l'enfant impressionné par les couleurs vives autant que celle de la personne dont il faut capter l'attention déficiente. En d'autres mots il fallait lui faire un dessin.

D'ailleurs le thème de la couleur et du dessin suscite la réflexion des commentateurs (« Commenters pointed out how similar it was to a child’s picture book and asked whether it came with crayons », The Independent ; « Selon l’Independent, des commentateurs un brin sarcastique ont demandé si le tout était fourni avec des crayons de couleur » Slate, en passant il y a des fautes d'orthographe dans l'article de Slate). La référence est celle de l'album à colorier.

Le tout connote de l'imbécilité et de la faible estime qu'on a du personnage dont on associe malheureusement les caractéristiques, comme l'intellect et le niveau d'attention, à celles d'un tout petit, d'un enfant en bas âge, salissant la notion à mon avis. Mais ça ne saurait jamais autant le faire que les propos que cet homme a tenus dans sa vie au sujet d'un nombre incalculable de personnes, de groupes ou de pays ainsi qu'au cours de son mandat dont un souhaite ardemment la fin. C'est de bonne guerre.

• @Fólkvangr Toi aussi semble-t-il tu as besoin de majuscules et du caractère gras pour t'exprimer. Je n'en ai pas besoin pour comprendre. Malheureusement pour toi le site ne permet pas que je sache de changer la couleur du texte, je t'écrirais quelque chose de plus coloré. Mais c'est de bonne guerre. – un3hiv3r Jul 1 at 9:12

This is, no doubt, aimed at rhyming with the expression "donner carte blanche" and the verb "donner", which is remarkable for the lack of specificity it shows, for its common place connotations, has been chosen expressly with that in mind; normally, a verbe such as "fournir", or "remettre", or an expression such as "joindre à leurs explications une carte coloriée" would have been more proper than this word connoting essentially the idea of a gift or nothing in particular (as when handing sth to someone you say "donner qqc à qqn").The idea of colored chart is by the way, overplayed, the chart is of a uniform light blue colour (shown below).

enter image description here

I've never heard or read any figurative expression similar to "laisser carte blanche" using the term "carte colorée".

Nevertheless, the idea is very probably gratuitous, as is all the hulaballoo about Trump being the only politician on the planet having to rely on charts and maps for acquiring and retaining some knowledge about complex global and regional situations. There is no context for the Japanese delegating decision power to American administration in matters of trade: all decisions in that domain are the product of bilateral arrangements or unilateral impositions, except possibly on the level of very limited facets of the business, but that's out of the question here.

It is not gratuitous at all. As said in the article (the article in The Independent as well as the translation on Slate.fr) it is an allusion to Juncker using ‘brightly coloured, simple flashcards’ to explain trade to Trump. – Laure SO - Écoute-nous Jun 30 at 19:27
  • @Laure No, that's not what I mean; what's gratuitous is the proximity with "donner carte blanche", which has been sought by choosing the verb "donner" instead of a term not as colloquial and better suited to the level of language expected. – LPH Jun 30 at 19:35
  • @suiiurisesse Qu'est-ce que l'on fait alors de l'irrépressible soupçon du OP ? – LPH Jul 1 at 13:20
  • @suiiurisesse Ça, c'est à peu près ce que je dis: il n'est pas question de "carte blanche", mais on a l'impression que la traduction ne fait rien pour annuler des allusions vagues à cette idée et cela ce n'est pas exactement ce que l'on appelle de la rédaction judicieuse. (En passant, L'Ac. déconseille cette locution, "au final', elle ne semble pas relever d'une structure réelle.) – LPH Jul 1 at 18:52
  • Je comprends. Je ne vois aucune allusion, même vague. La locution donner carte blanche ne contient aucun déterminant (une). Donner une carte blanche et bleue ou donner carte colorée aurait été une allusion. Bof, c'est vraiment peu intéressant d'en débattre, c'est sujet à opinion. Le au final j'ai appris ça sur le site, je n'utilise pas ça dans mon sociolecte, où je dirais finalement. De toutes façons je ne suis pas toujours les conseils de l'Académie. – un3hiv3r Jul 2 at 1:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.