I want to say "I just came from the museum by foot" is "Je viens du musée à pied" correct? I know that "je viens de" translates to "I just came from" but I am unsure if it changes when you have a location and you're explaining how you came "by foot"

"Je viens de" translates "I come from" so "I just came from" would be better translated by "j'arrive juste de", "je viens juste d'arriver/de revenir de", or "je reviens juste de" and similar expressions.

They are valid whatever the method used (by feet, car or whatever).

So, here is a possible idiomatic translation (which assumes you came back from the museum to your current location):

Je viens juste de revenir du musée à pied.

• Doesn't "je viens de revenir" already mean that I have just come back? Is the "juste" optional? – Alan Evangelista Jul 18 at 18:21
  • They overlap but differ in their validity time span. Je viens de revenir can be said for a longer time than je viens juste de revenir, and on the opposite for a shorter time than je suis revenu. I used juste because like the English just (or at least that's the way I perceive it, juste suggests than only a very short period of time has elapsed. – jlliagre Jul 19 at 0:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.