If you have the following sentence:

Je vais à l'école.

What is the difference between that and:

J'aille à l'école.

• The first difference is the mood (i.e. mode) used (indicative vs subjunctive).

• The second difference is that the second sentence is ungrammatical (usually, the subjunctive is introduced by que) or at least meaningless.

A way to use the subjunctive with aller might be:

Mes parents voulaient que j'aille à l'école pour apprendre mes conjugaisons.

• Could you explain your first point more (mood)? – Voldemort's Wrath Jul 20 at 21:33
  • Does that page help? – jlliagre Jul 20 at 21:43
  • Yes, but I can't accept (or upvote) unless you provide more descriptions in your answer. As it stands, it seems to be mostly link-only... – Voldemort's Wrath Jul 20 at 21:45
  • It might help if you explain why you ask this question in the first place. Your question is very terse, so is my reply... Did you find the second form somewhere? – jlliagre Jul 20 at 21:52
    Translated by what/who? In any case, the translation should be Mes parents voulaient que j'aille à l'école. The last part doesn't make a sentence, just a part of it. – jlliagre Jul 20 at 22:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.