Man, I'm beat from all the climbing and such. Today’s got to be just an inside day.

This is a humourous way of saying "being cooped up in the house all day by his/her own free will, spending a languid afternoon etc".

How is this idea commonly/idiomatically expressed in French?

Bien sûr il y a beaucoup de façons d'exprimer cette idée en français mais je ne pense pas qu'il y en ait une qui soit perçue comme une expression toute faite.

Le plus simple c'est :

(Cette escalade m'a crevé), aujourd'hui je reste à la maison.

Aujourd'hui (journée) repos.

Aujourd'hui (journée) farniente.

Bien que ces deux dernières n'impliquent pas qu'on ne bouge pas de la maison, juste qu'on ne fait pas grand chose, c'est plutôt l'équivalent de "today's a lazy day".

On exprimera souvent l'idée par la négative :

Aujourd'hui je ne sors pas.

Aujourd'hui je ne bouge pas (de chez moi, de la maison, de l'hôtel, de la chambre...)

Je ne mets pas les pieds dehors (hors de la maison, hors de...)

• Possibly worth noting that at least for me in North America, "inside day" is not an expression toute faite either. Easy enough to figure out, and natural-sounding, but not one you'd necessarily predict. The closest one that comes to mind is an "indoor recess" at school. – Luke Sawczak Jul 26 at 3:12
  • @LukeSawczak It isn't in British English either. It is used as an idiom only in financial circles where it has a precise technical meaning meaning (which I would not be able to explain!) – Laure Jul 26 at 5:32

This is not a correct answer but, the humourous way of saying "being cooped up in the house all day by his/her own free will, spending a languid afternoon etc." is:

Aujourd'hui je reste enfermé +(not necessary) "à la maison" or "chez moi" (I stay locked)

Or

Aujourd'hui je reste cloîtré +(necessary!) "à la maison" or "chez moi"

"cloîtré" is when you stay in a cloister (like a nun or a monk) that one is quite humourous the most commun use of this expression is when for example your freind has a lot of work and stays home and you say "il reste cloîtré chez lui à travailler".

You can add toute la journée (all day long) at the end of every case to support the message.

Laure almost included it in her answer but anyway, here is an idiomatic expression, especially in this "Tour de France" period:

Aujourd'hui, c'est journée de repos ! (today, it's day of rest!)

It doesn't carry the "at home" side though.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.