Here is the particular (very funny!) passage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv2dVNu-Z34&t=136s

And here is some of the dialogue of the French subtitled version.

enter image description here

One notes that the " Biggus Dickus" name (quite obvious its "latinized" meaning:-)!) was interpreted in French as "Enormus Vergus". From where comes this "latinized" Vergus? Why should be regarded as funny by native French speakers? On the contrary the VF (French dialogues) has Bitus Grossus which catches better indeed the original Monty Python spirit:-)! Why the difference between the Vostfr and the VF?

Vergus is a play on verge "rod" < Latin virga "branch". Wiktionary says the sexual slang is from the 13th century. That gives it the same pedigree as English member or about double that of English prick. If the mollification over time is also the same, verge would be tamer and less funny than bite. Hence I'm tempted to think that bite is the better translation for dick. Maybe verge was chosen to blend in with the Latin better. But that's just speculation, since I have no idea how verge comes across to a native speaker. – Luke Sawczak Aug 6 at 3:17
    @LukeSawczak Mollification reminds me the first time I saw "soft verge" on an English road sign, and was puzzled... ;-) – jlliagre Aug 6 at 14:28
  • @jlliagre lol, I never even thought of the double entendre :D – Luke Sawczak Aug 6 at 14:57

verge comes across as a bit literary but I think its meaning as mentula is widely understood by native speakers.

Vergus has indeed a more Latin feel to it than Bitus. The Oxford Latin Dictionary has :

• Vergilius : the name of a Roman gens, especially Publius Vergilius Maro (Virgil), the poet, 70 - 19 B.C.
  • Vergīnius : the name of a Roman gens
  • Vērus : a cognomen

enormus does not exist in this form in Latin, the correct form of the adjective being ēnormis. One of the translators decided to go full dog Latin, or latin de cuisine, as in English and came up with Bitus Grossus, the other one wanted to stay closer to actual Latin with Enormus Vergus. I think both translations work equally well.

Come to think of it, if we're talking about register, not only is bite a better match for dick but gros is also a better match for big. Much of the humour of "Biggus Dickus" is how obviously un-Latin it is, using these nice basic English-sounding words. I think the Enormus Vergus translator did a good job of making a Latin-like funny name, but missed the point that it's definitely supposed to sound like latin de cuisine. – Luke Sawczak Aug 6 at 13:34

My best bet is that the spoken French dialog has Bitus Grossus because it better matches the movements of the lips when Biggus Dickus is pronounced.

The subtitles haven't this constraint and use Enormus Vergus because :

• it sounds more Latin (latin de cuisine precisely)

• is is immediately understood unlike Bitus Grossus which requires a small effort. (On the other hand, the reversed Grossus Bitus would have been a good alternative.)

Note that verge is not slang but the formal/medical name of it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.