The image below is a screenshot from Johnny English (2003):

On the wall I can figure out the first three words that reads NE PAS CRACHER, but the last word is too distorted in the view to be identified.

What is the full phrase on the wall? And what does it mean in this scenario?

• "And what does it mean in this scenario?" -> you mean, what's the comical point of adding this phrase here? – user21442 Aug 13 at 13:22
  • @MercrediAndThenJedi Exactly. – iBug Aug 13 at 13:27
  • There's nothing especially funny and I don't think it was added for the film. These toilets are usually just holes and it's very possible that nowadays there might be people wandering underneath, so people are asked no to spit. – Laurent S. Aug 13 at 13:39
  • if added as a comical effect, it can maybe explained by the misuse of the toilets holes as crachoir. Because, when tasting wine (aussi appelé "descente de cave"), in order to test as many bottles as needed, you might be able to spit the wine you have in your mouth in a "crachoir", so that you dont' get drunk too quickly. But too many glasses might lead to confusing toilet bowl and spitting bowl (dunno if it's worth an answer though...). Having seen many Brits drunk while in Burgundy, I can find this very funny :)) – user21442 Aug 13 at 13:47
  • 2/2 it's like adding a sign saying "spitting only please" right above a spitting bowl (=> "please don't throw up here, use the toilets instead"). Years and years in Burgundy, witnessing drunk people doing eveything everywhere but in the proper place made me laugh when seeing your picture ;) – user21442 Aug 13 at 13:58

It's written S.V.P., a standard abbreviation for S'il vous plaît. You will most of the time find it written as SVP.

• So the English meaning is "don't spit if you please", right? – iBug Aug 13 at 13:29
    Please don't spit. – jlliagre Aug 13 at 13:29
  • S'il vous plait = please, merci = thanks – stbr Aug 13 at 13:31
  • It is more "PLEASE DO NOT SPIT." As we can see in some settlements. – Kenichi-san Aug 13 at 14:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.