In conversation, I just said:

Je vais prendre exemple sur eux et me mettre à faire ces choses avec autant d’élégance ! Vous allez voir ce que vous allez voir, mesdemoiselles !

Here I wanted to jokingly express the idea of "You've got competition (from me), ladies!" or "Expect competition (from me), ladies!". In German, a rather literally translated phrasing works fine:

Ich werde in ihre Fußstapfen treten und jetzt auch auf diese elegante Art und Weise damit anfangen! Ihr bekommt Konkurrenz, Damen!

Does my phrasing work well enough? How is this idea commonly/effectively expressed in French?

2 Answers 2

Vous allez voir ce que vous allez voir is fine and idiomatic although the "competition" side is missing. It is not rude, it just tells to prepare to see an outstanding performance.

A closer expression might be:

Vous allez avoir de la concurrence, mesdemoiselles !

• Is my phrasing closer to "Vous verrez ce dont je suis capable !" without a vis-à-vis connotation? Aug 14, 2019 at 11:40
  • Answered meantime in my reply.
    – jlliagre
    Aug 14, 2019 at 11:40

"Vous allez voir ce que vous allez voir" can often be a little rude, whereas "You've got competition" carries almost no feelings of animosity, and most likely none a all in the present case; this English phrase situates the interaction on the general level of adversity. It is more aptly expressed here by means of a turn using the verb "concurrencer" or the noun "concurrence";

• Vous allez avoir de la concurrence
  • Voilà de la concurrence pour vous
  • Vous allez être concurrencées
  • Vous pouvez vous attendre à de la concurrence
  • Je vais vous faire concurrence

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.