The conjugation of the verb promener can be quite confusing:

1. We write je me promène in the first person singular present.
  2. We write nous nous promenons in the first person plural present.
  3. We write je me suis promené(e) in the first person singular compound past.

I am a French Native so I usually decide to put an accent on the first e depending on the pronunciation. Je me promene and Nous nous proménons would simply sound awkward.

But how can a French learner easily know when to put an accent when conjugating Promener or similar verbs (appeler, jeter)?

Is there a simple rule, either linguistic/grammatical/logical or mnemotechnic? Or is memorizing, and a lot of practice, speaking and listening, the only way to go?

Note: I am asking the question in order to help a friend who is learning French, so answers in English are preferred, but I can translate answers in French.

• La seule règle simple c'est la terminaison é dans la formation du participe passé des verbes en -er (je te conseille l'appellation verbes en -er dans la mesure où tu t'adresses à un non francophone, et non pas verbes du er groupe). Sinon il n'y a aucune règle simple mais une série de règles qui dépendent de de la consonne qui suit et une série d'exceptions. – Laure Aug 18 at 10:33
  • Pour te faire une idée : pour les verbes en ~eler et ~eter, un article sur la question ; Un problème orthographique difficile à résoudre : les verbes en -eler, -eter. La question est donc très vaste. – Laure Aug 18 at 10:33

As a rule you can say that the accent is needed when follows

• one phonetic syllable in which the nucleus is /ə/ (schwa, pronounced or not)

There can be one or two syllables after le syllable in which the e in question is the nucleus.

That corresponds to the moods, tenses and persons listed next;

Indicatif

• Présent je promène, tu promènes, il promène, ils promènent

• Passé simple ils promenèrent

• Futur je promènerai, tu promèneras, il promènera, nous promènerons, vous promènerez ils promèneront

Conditionnel

• Présent je promènerais, tu promènerais, il promènerait, nous promènerions,vous promèneriez, ils promèneraient

Subjonctif

• Présent que je promène, que tu promènes, qu'il promène, qu'ils promènent

The remaining forms rarely have in that syllable an e that is not schwa;

Indicatif

Présent nous promenons vous promenez

Imparfait je promenais tu promenais il promenait nous promenions vous promeniez ils promenaient

Passé simple je promenai tu promenas il promena nous promenâmes vous promenâtes

Conditionnel

Présent

Subjonctif

Présent que nous promenions que vous promeniez

Impératif

Présent promenons promenez

Participe

Présent promenant

Passé promené

As a graphical rule, you can say that the accent is needed every time the nucleus of the following syllable is represented by graphic e, except in the case of "promenez" because e before z is [e], not schwa.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.