I'd like to know the translation to French of the expression 'I went here to venerate the martyred priest.', since I have no knowledge in French.

the Google translator tells me this sentence - 'Je suis allé ici eto vénérer le martyr français et le prêtre.'

but I doubt if this sentence is correct. Is there a more accurate and polite way of saying this sentence?

closed as off-topic by Stéphane Gimenez Aug 26 at 8:31

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "We are not a text translation or proofreading service. If you're translating into French, be specific about the word or expression you want help with, and explain the meaning and provide context. If you're asking about the correctness of a sentence, tell us which specific word or construction you are unsure about." – Stéphane Gimenez
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Your translation's no good, it gives the impression there might be more than one person involved. The priest martyr in French is le prêtre et martyr, where both prêtre and martyr are nouns. If you said le prêtre martyr, martyr would be an adjective and it would be the martyred priest in English. I don't know where you get français from the English and eto doesn't mean anything at all in French. One last thing, je suis allé ici sounds a bit odd, you should say je suis venu.

To sum up, a way to translate the English could be :

• Je suis venu vénérer le prêtre et martyr.
  • Yes. The martyred priest sounds right. I got that sentence from google translator.. – Victoria Aug 26 at 7:07
  • Vénérer le prêtre et le martyr is probably what I would have used. I guess the context should make clear that it is the same person. – jlliagre Aug 26 at 8:45
  • @jiliagre Je crois qu'il est d'usage de se référer ainsi ("prêtre et martyr") aux prêtres inscrits au martyrologe de l'Eglise. – user21018 Aug 26 at 9:46

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.