'Our sea resort hotel has had its moment. But our profits have suffered after that, and it's really put the owner in a bad mood. Well, it was good while it lasted. But never mind that now.'

I was watching an American TV drama program on Netflix and I remember hearing a line like above. I want to find out if there exists French expressions resembling 'has had its moment'. Its meaning is like saying that the hotel was prosperous and famous for a while and it bathed in a spotlight but it has now passed its peak.

It seems that no expression as concise exists in French; the one used below is a fixed expression;

• Il a eu ses moments de gloire.

• Notre hôtel en bord de mer a eu ses moments de gloire. Mais les revenus qu'en tirent les propriétaires ont diminué et cela nous rend malheureux. Enfin, tant que ça a duré ça aura été pour le mieux. Mais n'y pensons plus maintenant.

If you are talking about a unique period of that type, this is also idiomatic;

• Il a eu son heure de gloire.
| improve this answer | |
  • Thank you sir or Ms. If you wouldn't mind, could you show how your propositions are included in the whole sentences for my better understanding? – user21089 Aug 28 '19 at 14:47

As @con-gras-tue-les-chiens commented, the most common idiom is heure(s) de gloire.

enter image description here

Here is then a possible translation with slight changes to stay idiomatic:

Notre hôtel, sur la côte, a connu ses heures de gloire puis son patron a commencé a sérieusement faire la gueule car la rentabilité n'était plus au rendez-vous. Bon, c'était bien tant que ça marchait mais aujourd'hui, on tourne la page.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy