In English, particularly more antiquated or poetic forms, the adverb can be placed at the end.

I love her so. It impresses me so.

Do the same rules apply in French? Can one similarly say-

Je l'aime si. Ça m'impressionne si.

Or is the only proper way to use tant or tellement?

No, "si" can't be used like that; with "tant" and "tellement" a continuation is needed.

• Ça m'impressionne tant/tellement que je ne sais pas quoi dire.

If you change the punctuation "tant" and "tellement" can be used in the end, though (ngram1, ngram2, ngram3).

• Ça m'impressionne tant !
  • Ça m'impressionne tant…
  • Je l'aime tant !
  • Ils en voient tellement…
  • Elle le veut tellement !

When placed in the end, as shown above, "tant" and "tellement" receive usually a special intonation (pronunciation with more strength and special intonation).

• Merci! So I guess my last question would be, which form is more idiomatic vs which form is more formal/literary – I'm assuming 'trop' would be more idiomatic, vs 'tant/tellement' slightly more accentuated? – Dr Acme Isme Aug 28 at 17:24
  • @DrAcmeIsme The forms I added belong to the standard language : they are used both in speaking and in writing; they are not to be compared with "trop", as used that way "trop" is young people's language; its use is not recorded in the Larousse en ligne and I don't recommend using it that way either, unless it is necessary to reproduce some youth's speech. Yes, you are right, "tant" and "tellement" receive special intonation in the end, thanks for pointing that out. – LPH Aug 28 at 17:37
  • Thanks for clarifying! I assume that the special intonation of tant could also sound ironic or sarcastic in certain contexts? – Dr Acme Isme Aug 28 at 19:43
  • @DrAcmeIsme No doubt, sarcastic intonations too ! That might let you presume of the variety there is to be found in this domain…It's necessary to do as much listening as possible. – LPH Aug 28 at 19:57

Good translation of your sentences is more like:

Je l'aime trop. Ça m'impressione trop.

si cannot be used at the end of a sentence.

That is rather colloquial, and used primarily by young peuple. Not the kind of poetic usage the OP is after. – Greg Aug 28 at 18:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.