Let’s say I wanted to say “This is what I need” in French. In this case, I know to use the “ce dont” construction, and I’d say “C’est ce dont j’ai besoin ”.

However, I’ve never learned how to deal with a situation where a verb takes an “à”, such as “penser à”. Like if I wanted to say “this is what I’m thinking about”, google translate is telling me it’s “c’est ce à quoi je pense”, but I don't know if that’s right or not.

C'est ce à quoi je pense is 100% correct.

Note that if you want add some emphasis on the "this" component, you can also say:

C'est à ça que je pense.

C'est à cela que je pense.

That's correct. "To think about sth" is translated by "penser à qqc". There is a difficulty, though. If you say instead "I'm thinking about it." you do not say (because it's wrong) "Je pense à le."; the equivalent of "about" is, so to speak, absorbed into the pronoun, which is not "le" but "y" and you say "J'y pense.".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.