I am filling in a form in French, but I do not speak the language. With online dictionaries I got through most of it, and am now left with this part:

Né(e) le: ……………………

A: ………………No Départ.: ……… Pays: ……………………

I suppose "Né(e) le" is the date of birth, and "Pays" the country of birth, correct? What are the other two?

Also: There was a "nom usuel" to be filled out, and separately the first and family name. Is "nom usuel" just the way one wants to be called?

Thanks for help!

A (fill in with the name of the town where you were born) Départ stand for Département (where you were born) . It is an administrative subdivision, and they want the number, not the name. it might not have an equivalent in your check this article on Wikipedia. You have found out correctly for the rest. – None Oct 12 '19 at 18:40
  • @Laure Thank you so much! – Britzel Oct 12 '19 at 18:47
    Laure, you should turn into a question, to remove this question from the queue of unanswered question. – Quidam Oct 25 '19 at 5:35

I just transform @None's (Laure) comment into an answer in order to remove this question from the queue of unanswered ones (as @Quidam suggests). [A couple of things were added.]

A (or À) (fill in with the name of the town where you were born) N° Départ. [1] stands for Département (where you were born).

The final dot makes clear it is not the word départ but an abbreviation of a word starting with départ-. (thanks @jlliagre)

'Département' is an administrative subdivision, and they want the number, not the name. It might not have an equivalent in your country. Check this article on Wikipedia. You have found out correctly for the rest.

[1] An alternate abbreviation for département can be dép.. [Thanks @SébastienC for pointing it out.]

Another one is dépt. which is less ambiguous. [Thanks @jlliagre for pointing it out.]

[Cf. http://www.guide-typographie.com/abreviations.htm]

| improve this answer | |

Please note that the correct abbreviation for département is dép. Départ means departure in French.

| improve this answer | |
    The final dot makes clear it is not the word départ but an abbreviation of a word starting with départ-. Note also that dépt is a common and less ambiguous alternate abbreviation for département. – jlliagre Jun 26 at 0:20
  • Indeed, thanks @jlliagre. – SébastienC Jun 27 at 7:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.