Would I use "des profs" or "les profs"? I know that "les profs" would literally mean "the teachers", but isn't "the teachers" an unspecified amount, and shouldn't we therefore use "des"?

Can you provide more context? "Les profs" could both mean "the teachers" ("the teachers are nice this year" = "les profs sont bien cette année") or "teachers" in general ("I hate teachers" = "je déteste les profs"). Note that "prof" is slang for "professeur". – Destal Nov 5 at 14:17
    You are asking if "the teachers" are an unspecified amount" which is something we will not answer on French Language, and which is not correct. You need to clarify this first and rephrase your question then. – Laure SO - Écoute-nous Nov 5 at 14:18
    @Destal : Prof slang ? Bon... j'aurais pas dit ça. Barbacole, pendu, archipédant, corps de pompe... etc... oui! Mais prof... bon! – aCOSwt Nov 5 at 15:57
    @aCOSwt C'est vrai que c'est peut-être exagéré de dire que c'est de l'argot, disons que ça n'en est plus. – Destal Nov 5 at 16:03

"The teachers" = "les profs". "Des profs" means "some teachers" so I don't see why you would use that instead. If you mean "teachers" in general, that's still "les profs".

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.