I'm not sure if this question is too broad, but I'll give it a try.

Noticing how "yet"/"still" is the same word as "again", that is, "encore", I get the feeling I will stumble with some ambiguities in the long run (right now I can't think of any, though).

Have you run into any ambiguities using this word? Is there a guideline of some sort to make the distinction?

As it stand your question is more focused on the difference between "yet" and "again" than on the use of encore in French. Since encore can sometimes be expressed in English by "yet" (period of time, as in "not yet") or "again" (as in "once more") but also by other things (even, still, etc.), in my opinion it might be better to look at your question from another angle. You might want to focus on what you want to express, including the word encore in a French sentence and asking if you are using it properly. – Laure SO - Écoute-nous Nov 18 at 9:24
  • For what it's worth, it's never (should I say "rarely" just in case?) ambiguous for French people. Now I know it's ambiguous for foreigners, and it exists in other languages too, it seems the use of a negation is often one of the reasons for the meaning of this small words to change. I didn't even notice until now that in English, it seems pretty straightforward. And there is a similar problem with toujours btw. – Destal Nov 18 at 15:30
  • I've been thinking about my question a lot and realized that in Spanish we usually use the same word for "now" and "already" and it's never a problem, we can always tell by the context. – JD Gamboa Nov 28 at 19:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.