In the terminology of the European Union, a non-member state is referred to as un état tiers.

Spain and Italy are, of course, members of the EU.

With that in mind, would it be correct to refer to un accord entre l'Espagne, l'Italie et d'autres états tiers?

For comparison an agreement between Spain, Italy and other third states means an agreement between Spain, Italy and other states which, like Spain and Italy, are third states. It cannot mean an agreement between Spain, Italy and other states which are third states.

Is there a difference between French and English here, or is the French sentence just careless?

| improve this question | | | | |

In that context, the sentence is legit if one or more non EU states have already been mentioned like in:

La France et l'Allemagne ont conclu un accord avec la Suisse. Il y aura probablement aussi un accord entre l'Espagne, l'Italie et d'autres États tiers.

i.e. d'autres États tiers que la Suisse.

| improve this answer | | | | |
  • Thanks. I am sure that the intended meaning was états autres que l'Espagne ou l'Italie, so I think it must have been a slip. What do you think of je suis allé au câfé de la place avec Jean et deux autres de nos amis? – JD2000 Jan 8 at 15:00
    Je suis allé au café de la place avec Jean et deux autres de nos amis means the third and fourth persons are friends with both me and either the person I'm talking to or some other person/group already mentioned. Otherwise, that would have been je suis allé au café de la place avec Jean et deux autres de mes amis. – jlliagre Jan 8 at 15:20
  • Thanks. Would Je suis allé au café de la place avec Jean et deux de nos amis be likely, and would it imply that Jean himself is not a friend of mine (we can assume that nobody else has been mentioned)? – JD2000 Jan 13 at 8:20
  • Likely. Jean is not part of the set nos amis but who is behind no(u)s is not explicit. That can be either me and the person I'm talking, me and Jean, or even the three of us. Jean can still be a friend of mine if he belongs the person I'm talking to's family. Jean might also be my brother, my cousin, my husband... – jlliagre Jan 13 at 8:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.