I'm wondering if the sentence below is correct or if tellement needs to be substituted with "aussi"?

Il habite avec Fleur depuis presque un an maintenant, et en fait c’est la première fois qu’il est avec une fille tellement longtemps

Merci d'avance!

It is not correct. "Aussi" is "as" (comparisons) and "so" (otherwise). "Tellement" is basically "so".

• Il habite avec Fleur depuis presque un an maintenant, et en fait c’est la première fois qu’il est avec une fille aussi longtemps.

It is not the most idiomatic way of saying what is intended, although the use of the verb "habiter" first leaves no doubt as to what "être" means in "qu'il est avec"; the verbs "vivre" or "habiter" are more usual. "Être" is too general: it means also and often simply to be talking with a girl or more often to be engaged with her at a given moment in whichever of the usual activities that lovers like (in particular sex).

• Il habite avec Fleur depuis presque un an maintenant, et en fait c’est la première fois qu’il vit/habite avec une fille aussi longtemps.
  • You are indeed correct in stating that the version "with "tellement" is not correct and "tellement" needs to be substituted by "aussi". However, your comparison with English language is misleading: I am pretty sure that in English it would be said "it is the first time he is with a girl for so long", not "as long". So your translations are correct in general, but not in this particular case where "so" will be translated into "aussi"... – Steph Jan 13 at 22:21
  • @Steph I see, right, I take into account only the comparisons. – LPH Jan 13 at 22:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.