Voici une phrase: "Une source de k symboles ayant une distribution P peut être asymptotiquement encodée avec H(P) bits en moyenne."

I'm wondering who to translate "Une source de".

I would translate it as "a text with k symbols where the frequency of the symbols follow the distribution P could be encoded with H(O) bits in average."

• A source of k symbols? – Quidam Jan 14 at 8:21
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because it asks for translating an expression from French to English and not the other way around. – Dimitris Jan 14 at 9:03

Your translation isn't wrong – it's good English and it has the correct meaning. However, the usual information-theoretic English translation of une source would be a source.

This is Shannon's Source Coding Theorem.

I don't know whether, by de k symboles, you mean an alphabet of k different symbols, or k symbols in total. Assuming the second, I'd translate the whole thing as

k symbols from a source with probability distribution P can asymptotically be encoded using an average of H(P) bits per symbol.

I don't know why you don't say bits par symbole in French, but I can find a statement of the theorem online as

Théorème (Shannon):
Une source ayant une distribution P peut être asymptotiquement encodée avec H(P) bits en moyenne et pas mieux.

so it appears that in French, one doesn't always specify bits par symbole.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.