I have heard the following sentence in the TV series Marseille:

Ça y est, nous avons reglé nos comptes, on peut se checker maintenant.

Context: a neighborhood gang leader has blown up the car of a guy which lives in the neighborhood as punishment because the guy had refused to make him a favor. They meet in the next day in a building and the gangster says the sentence above.

https://www.linternaute.fr/dictionnaire/fr/definition/checker/ says that "checker" is an anglicanism which means "to check". However, nobody says "we can check ourselves now" in English, so I assume that this expression is a French-specific slang. What does it mean?

• See Urban Dictionary entry. Without further context I would understand it as: "We got even, now we can lie low / back off (lest we attract more attention and face consequences)." Actually not a huge leap from the fourth definition under "verb" wiktionary.org/wiki/check, except slangified. This is not an answer just in case a native speaker comes to say that the meaning has indeed shifted since the borrowing. – Luke Sawczak Jan 25 at 14:06
    I leave the above as a case study in a theory being logical yet wrong :) – Luke Sawczak Jan 25 at 14:54

Here the meaning is to bump hands, often with personal variants depending on who is doing it, to salute someone: faire un check.

See https://www.francetvinfo.fr/monde/comment-le-check-s-est-impose-dans-la-vie-de-tous-les-jours_877483.html

I believe this is called a fist bump in English.

The origin of the noun/verb check might be an assimilation with (hand)shake, as shake and check are often pronounced identically (/tʃɛk/) by French people while faire un shake (pronounced /ʃɛk/) would collide with faire un chèque ("write/cut a cheque").

| improve this answer | |
  • Watching again the scene, I have noticed that the gangster closes one of his hands and puts it forward in a fist bump position, so I think you have hit the nail on the head. Thanks! – Alan Evangelista Jan 25 at 14:15
  • nitpicking, though: a check traditionally starts with slapping palms, hands open, and then there's a fist bump. There are tons of variations on this simple model, including double-slap without fist bump, or skipping directly to the first bump. – njzk2 Jan 26 at 7:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.