I want to justify to my professor my delay to arrive in Belgium. I feel that the following expression is not properly formulated:

Vu la charge sur les cités universitaire dans cette période mes candidatures n'ont pas été accepté à cause de la non disponibilité des chambres.

I appreciate any help to reformulate the expression above to make it more formal.

• "Au vu de" is fine when there is something to examine, but here this is not the case and I changed it for the factual "en raison de".

(TLFi) Après examen, après consultation de quelque chose.

• "La charge" is not too specific here, as it has not been explained beforehand what it might be. I suppose you mean "an important number of applications are put to the administration and this causes a lot of additional work", so I render "charge" more precise by substituting "demande" in its place.

• It is preferable to specify "de l'année" after "période" as it makes precise that one refers to a reccurring, seasonal situation, where the same problems are usually reoccurring.

• It is not at all usual to speak of "candidature" when applying for a place in a university as a student. "Candidature" is reserved for posts and then out of several persons that will submit their candidature only one will be chosen. Moreover, several candidatures in one single request is a much more unlikely possibility. So I suppose you are just a student and I substituted "inscription" for "candidature".

• As you already explain why by a general reason (forte demande) you must remain consistent and not lead your reader into a reasonning where indecision is the outcome. Trying to round up what the reason is one will not be coming up with a clear one. "Au vu de" already means "because of", so it is a little bit as if you were were saying "because of" twice and you need to introduce a hierarchy in your causes. This I do by adding that in your case the particular problem was the lack of rooms.

• Rather than consider the question of the availability of rooms from the point of view of their not being free, usually one does the opposite; however your formulation is still acceptable.

After the indicated modifications we can use the following proper formulation.

En raison de la forte demande à laquelle font face les cités universitaires en cette période de l'année ma demande d'inscription n'a pas été acceptée, la cause précise étant le manque de chambres disponibles.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.