Maybe I could translate it as following:

Je ne parle toujours pas le français aussi bien que je comprends.

This will be understood but to be correct it should be "...que je le comprends." – Laurent S. Mar 2 at 7:09
    Even in English, I'd say "as I understand it". – Luke Sawczak Mar 3 at 11:29

For simple translations like this one could use Google Translate or better DeepL. E.g., the latter gives for you :

https://www.deepl.com/translator#fr/en/Je%20ne%20parle%20toujours%20pas%20aussi%20bien%20le%20fran%C3%A7ais%20que%20je%20le%20comprends.

Je ne parle toujours pas aussi bien le français que je le comprends.

Note that this particular translator gives correctly the neutral pronoun le (see the comment of the user @Laurent S.).

Following the comment of @Luke Sawczak, I entered

I still don't speak French as well as I understand it.

into Google Translate. It gives the proper translation as well.

| improve this answer | |
  • Yes. I was wondering if I could ask such question here or not. I think I can't fully trust Google Translate. I've never heard about DeepL. For example, my translated phrase on Google Translate doesn't have the neutral pronoun, whereas in DeepL it has the neutral pronoun. If I translated another phrase, and both those applications gave me different answers, what do you think I should do? – Matheus Schaly Mar 2 at 19:34
  • By the way, if I translate my phrase “I still don't speak French as well as I understand”, I get a "toujours" which your phrase doesn't have. Maybe you missed the "still"? – Matheus Schaly Mar 2 at 20:00
  • @Kaldwin With toujours, your phrase would translate into "Je ne parle toujours pas aussi bien le français que je le comprends". – Paul Picard Mar 3 at 9:19
  • @Kaldwin: See my updated answer. In general this type of question risks to be closed. See here french.stackexchange.com/help/dont-ask – Dimitris Mar 3 at 9:27
  • @Kaldwin > Dimitris probably overlooked the "still" in your example. The nuance between one and the other is as thin in French as it is in English. – Laurent S. Mar 4 at 14:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.