je vais aller mieux or je deviendrai meilleur ?

Je vais aller mieux seems to suggest I am going to... whereas je deviendrai is I will get

Please add some context to the question. Both translations are actually valid, at least if my english is not too broken: "I suck at basket ball but I will get better"=>"Je suis nul au basket ball mais je vais devenir meilleur" / "I'm sick now but I will get better" => "Je suis malade mais je vais aller mieux" – Laurent S. Mar 17 at 8:04
  • "Je vais devenir" or "je deviendrai" or are both correct? I'm just curious really Laurent, if they are all correct then great or if one is more widely used in everyday spoken French and one is grammatically correct etc. I guess I'm just looking for the common usage. Thanks for your input. – Rich M Mar 17 at 8:52
  • They're both correct for sure, and I can't tell whether one is more idiomatic than the other. Maybe the form "je vais + infinitive" is a bit more informal than the other as we use the future tense of the same verb (aller) instead of using the dedicated future tense of the significative verb. You could anyway hear or read both forms from native speakers. – Laurent S. Mar 17 at 10:53
  • merci pour votre perspicacité Laurent ! – Rich M Mar 17 at 11:39
    I will get better tomorrow =health, J'irai mieux demain. – Lambie Mar 17 at 14:54

Both your sentences are correct, but they mean quite different things:

"Je vais aller mieux" means that you're going to recover from some illness.

"Je deviendrai meilleur" means that you will become a better man, either on a moral or a technical point of view.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks BBBreiz. Can you explain why this is please? – Rich M Mar 18 at 5:54
  • "aller bien" is an expression used to say "I'm fine": In French , to say "How are you?"(Britain), or "How do you do?" (America), people say "Comment allez-vous?", the answer usually being "Je vais bien" ("I'm fine"). But when you have been ill, you can say "Je vais mieux", meaning the illness is going away. On the other hand, "meilleur" has a more emphatic sense, and refers to a value. – BBBreiz Mar 18 at 6:32
  • Thanks for clarifying BBBreiz – Rich M Mar 18 at 7:09
  • It would have been kind of you to vote my answer! – BBBreiz Mar 18 at 7:41
  • Sorry! This is done now. – Rich M Mar 18 at 8:31

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.