I am a masters student in Mathematics in an Asian Country. I am self studying a research paper which is originally in French. I am fluent in English and Hindi.

I used Google Translator for translation of French to English. The problem that occured is that now I am doubtful after reading 4 lemmas in Research Paper that the paper title was different and perhaps mistranslated by Google and that I am reading a different paper. Initially , I didn't realized this as I was reading lemmas and So the main results hadn't appeared. So, I am confused about the title of the paper.

Also, I am self studying and no one in my University is specialized in what I am studying. So, I can't ask anyone.

But as I use mathematics.stackexchange so I thought if there is a stackexchange site for FrenchFrench and found this side.

So, it's my humble request if anyone can translate me these lines accurately.

Lines are ->"Irrationalit´e d’une innit´edevaleurs de la fonction zêta aux entiers impairs. "

I shall be really thankful.

• I read: irrationalité d'une unité de valeurs de la fonction zêta aux entiers impairs. Which word(s) don't you understand? – Cindy DE WAELE Mar 20 at 19:02
    In light of your status as a New Contributor, I'll view your question as asking if the French title as you quote it makes sense in French (& not as an arguably "off-topic" request for a translation of it into English). Granted, I'm neither French nor a mathematician, but it makes no sense to me. I think there's one major TYPO & should read: "Irrationalité d'une infinité de valeurs de la fonction zêta aux entiers impairs." – Papa Poule Mar 20 at 20:44

I follow the hypothesis of "Papa Poule" about the term "innité" that you wrote and that doesn't exist in French. I think he is right to suppose the original word was "infinité". So the sentence would be:

"Irrationalité d'une infinité de valeurs de la fonction zêta aux entiers impairs."

and in English, that means:

"Irrationality of an infinity of values of the zeta function at odd integers".

| improve this answer | |
  • That should actually be at odd integers; to odd integers doesn't make any sense in English. – Peter Shor Mar 26 at 23:59
  • Thanks for your suggestion, I have corrected the text. – BBBreiz Mar 28 at 22:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.