I'm interested in knowing how European French referred to themselves racially before World War II. I realize, in modern France, race is more of a taboo topic (I saw a previous question on this). However, in the past, would these people consider themselves racially to be "white" or did they just call themselves French or European?

I've always thought "whiteness" or "Aryan" was more of a concept that developed in Germanic cultures (England, Germany, Sweden, etc.) whereas the term may have been used in other countries (e.g. Spain, France, etc.), but more so as a descriptor to compare races in their colonies rather than as a primary descriptor of their race (hopefully that makes sense!). However, my lack of French language makes it difficult to know.

Did the French refer themselves as "Blanc" in the same way an Englishman/European American might refer to himself as "White" today?

New contributor
Rock is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering. Check out our Code of Conduct.
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because this questions belongs on another site in the Stack Exchange network (history). – Fólkvangr Mar 26 at 20:17
  • If that's true, I apologize. I thought it was more of a historical language issue. – Rock 22 hours ago

Your Answer

Rock is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.