I have read the definition of "racheter" in the Larousse dictionary and understood that the "r" prefix means "to do again".

However, I have read the following dialogue in the TV series Narcos:

• Qu'est-ce que tu veux en échange ?
  • Un resto. (...). J'ai pas de revenus déclarés, moi. Donc, je vais avoir besoin d'un banquier dans la combine et un homme de paille qui rachète le resto à crédit.

Why "racheter" is used instead of "acheter" in this sentence? The restaurant will not be bought again, but rather for the first time.

• Some appropriate glosses are on the bilingual Larousse (“to buy [secondhand, roughly speaking]”) and TLFi (“Acheter qqc qui a déjà acheté par un autre ou plus rarement par soi-même.”). – Maroon Apr 5 at 3:24

Racheter means not only to buy for a second time, but also to buy something that someone else bought in a first instance, and not from a shop, a reseller or a flea market seller.

Ex:

J'ai beaucoup aimé ce vin. J'ai bu toutes mes bouteilles, alors j'en ai racheté (I have bought the same item a 2nd time)

Mon voisin n'utilisait plus sa voiture. Alors je la lui ai rachetée (=I have bought it in 2nd hand, from the person who bought it in the 1st place).

If this persons says he wants to racheter a restaurant, he means he plans to buy an existing restaurant to its current owner.

Note it would be awkward to say that anyone has "acheté" the restaurant in first instance anyway: when someone decides to start a restaurant as a business from scratch, they may buy or rent a house or a building for it, hire some staff, buy the furniture, the equipment, etc. - but at least in French you cannot consider that the founder/entrepreneur/chef has acheté a restaurant by then, he has rather fondé/lancé/démarré un restaurant. So the transaction by which someone takes over a restaurant would indeed be racheter, because it means buying something to the current owner and not from some sort of reseller.

More generally, if the transaction means a takeover of a business or a company, the verb is indeed always racheter:

Disney a racheté Lucasfilm

L'état a racheté Air France

Mon associé est intéressé par un rachat de mes parts

| improve this answer | |
  • Sans qu’il soit forcément question d’argent, on peut aussi "acheter une conscience" et "racheter ses fautes", ces verbes se trouvent aussi dans les dialogues télévisés ;-) [recherche Ngram en French 2012, "acheter une conscience,racheter ses fautes"] – Personne Apr 4 at 17:58
  • If I understood right, the point here is that "acheter" can only be used when buying from a shop/reseller. For instance, I cannot use it when buying something that someone else founded or built (eg restaurant, company, house). I should use "racheter" instead. The answer could be a little clearer if it highlighted that. – Alan Evangelista Apr 5 at 13:25
  • yes - and on second thoughts, if I even buy a 2nd hand item on eBay or on a flea market, I would still say "j'achète" et not "je rachète" spontaneously, so I guess these also count as some sort of "shop", even though these are 2nd hand purchases from the owner. I would use "racheter" only for a transaction outside of these "commercial" frameworks, as weird as it may sound... For takeovers of a company or a business, the verb is definitely always "racheter" (ex: Disney a racheté Lucasfilm, l'état a racheté Air France, mon associé a racheté mes parts). I will edit the answer. – Greg Apr 5 at 13:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.