I'm trying to understand the difference between these things. Do I understand correctly if I say:

1) Le chat est à l'arrière de la maison = The cat is at the back of the house (like opposite to the front)

2) Le chat est au fond de la maison = the cat is right at the back (like in the depths of the house)?

3) Le chat est derrière la maison = The cat is behind the house (but doesn't specify particularly)

4) Le chat est en arrière de la maison = The cat is just behind the house. I reached that conclusion as I understand that "en arrière de" can mean "in the background of"?

Headache!

1) Le chat est à l'arrière de la maison = The cat is at the back of the house (like opposite to the front)

Yes, correct.

2) Le chat est au fond de la maison = the cat is right at the back (like in the depths of the house)?

That one I would think it mean the cat is hidden in the basement, or somewhere depth inside the house (like a chimney, etc..), but it's open-ended on the location inside the house.

3) Le chat est derrière la maison = The cat is behind the house (but doesn't specify particularly)

Yes, correct.

4) Le chat est en arrière de la maison = The cat is just behind the house. I reached that conclusion as I understand that "en arrière de" can mean "in the background of"?

Yes, correct. It mean the same thing as derrière la maison. So can be in the backward, etc.. , but somewhere behind the house.

| improve this answer | |

I'm trying to understand the difference between these things. Do I understand correctly if I say:

yes

yes, at the very back of the house

yes, the cat is behind the house somewhere

yes, the same as derrière la maison ... in the background of doesn't really apply here.

:)

| improve this answer | |
  • How is this different from previous answer? – Toto May 30 at 15:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.