"hell of or one hell of" is used to emphasize that something is very good, very bad, or very big.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/a-one-hell-of

Speeking about the drumming in one song I said:

This is one hell of drumming! One of the finest drum performances in music history. This song alone cemented M. Gilles' spot as a legendary drummer.

How can we convey this sense in French?

Related questions:

"Ridiculously" (expressing absurdly or unbelievably good, bad, crazy, etc.) and "ridiculement"

Usage de "eargasm (ear+orgasm)" en français (parlant de la sensation euphorique qu'on obtient en entendant de la musique)

• I'm not sure "one hell of" can modify an uncountable noun such as drumming. You'd probably have to say something along the line of "This is one hell of a drumming performance" or "one hell of a drum performance". – grandtout Apr 15 at 21:32

Ça c'est de la batterie ! Ça c'est jouer de la batterie ! (en prononçant avec une forte accentuation sur "ça").

Ou un peu vulgaire mais très courant en langage parlé:

C'est une putain de batterie !

| improve this answer | |
    I would also add "C'est une sacrée batterie !" (not the best with this example though), which still sounds colloquial but obviously less vulgar than "putain". – Reyedy Apr 15 at 18:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.