My (deceased) grandmother's birth name appears in the Registers as [Lebègue, Sabas Marie Eva] and her sister's name [Lebègue, Marie Daule Georges]. They both were born in Martinique around 1885. We used to call them Eva and Georgette, respectively. Now, I have three questions: (1) aren’t Sabas and Georges boy's names? or in the old days it didn't matter to use those names indistinctly?, (2) isn't Daule a Family name? , why is it inserted in the middle of the name , and (3) am I missing something about the structure of old French names?

"Daule" does not seem to be a first name, but maybe it is "Paule", with a bad transcription, or a wrong automated reading (if handwritten, there can be a confusion between a capital "d" and a capital "p") ?
    – Greg
    Apr 23 '20 at 4:34
  • A relative question: french.stackexchange.com/questions/41231/… (see @jlliagre's answer).
    – Dimitris
    May 23 '20 at 10:37

Sabas can be a girl's name as well as a boy's name (what is called in French a prénom épicène): see here.

There is an old tradition which is to give the first names of the child's godfather and godmother as second or third name (the order does not matter). A child can then have a second or third name that belongs to the opposite gender. What is common, though, is then to give the matching name in its feminine or masculine variant (ex: a girl with a godfather named Georges could have "Georgette" as 2nd name).

Another christian tradition consists in giving a second or third name that invokes a saint, which is supposed to put the baby under his/her protection. In some families, it is common for instance to give "Marie" as second name even to boys.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.