I want to know the difference & the meaning of "v.avoir+intérêt+que" & "v.avoir+intérêt+à" and what's the meaning of " J'avais intérêt que j'y arrive " and thanks🌸🌸

2 Answers 2

Avoir intérêt que is hurting so much French ears that most native people consider it incorrect and promote the usual avoir intérêt à ce que. Actually, when followed by a subjunctive, the form avoir intérêt que does exist but is very formal and literary.

As your sentence is relating something happening in the past, that might have even read:

J'avais intérêt que j'y arrivasse.

but nobody talks or writes that way nowadays.

The meaning is something like:

Making it was my best interest.

or

I had better make it.

As you wrote in a comment that you heard it from a song, I realized it's in the same one you already referred to in another question. The singer indeed says:

J'ai fait six millions de vues, je sais mais bon j'avais intérêt qu'j'y arrive.

which is very colloquial and has the same meaning (I'd better make it).

It's interesting to see that avoir intérêt que can be very informal or very formal, but not in between.

Here are some of the few occurrences of the formal "avoir intérêt que" form:

Mais comme chaque peuplade avait intérêt que son capitaine fût le meilleur, elle avait intérêt aussi à croire, et par conséquent elle croyait que son dieu était le plus puissant. Voltaire, Dictionnaire philosophique, 1764.

Trop de gens ont intérêt qu'ils [les princes] ne sachent pas la vérité tout entière Bossuet, 1836

Qui donc avait intérêt que l'on arrêtât ces messes clandestines ?, Florence Baudeneau, Faits divers, 2018.

Références:

• Grevisse, La préposition: Règles, exercices et corrigés.

• Littré

Avoir intérêt que, avec un verbe au subjonctif.
    Trop de gens ont intérêt qu'ils [les princes] ne sachent pas la vérité tout entière, Bossuet, Polit. VIII, IV, 4.
    De s'entêter qu'elle [une chose] est, parce qu'on veut qu'elle soit ; de la contredire avec obstination parce qu'on a intérêt qu'elle ne soit pas, Bourdaloue, Carême, III, Paix chrét.

• http://parler-francais.eklablog.com/des-avoir-s-et-des-interets-a118210160 :

Remarque 3 : Selon Girodet, « dans la langue très soignée, on évitera le tour avoir intérêt à ce que et on préférera avoir intérêt que (suivi du subjonctif) : Nous avons intérêt que cet accord soit signé rapidement (plutôt que à ce que cet accord soit signé). »

• thank you ..so much for your help
    – Zuko
    Apr 30, 2020 at 14:27

"avoir intérêt que" is not french. Where you read/hear that ?

"J'avais intérêt que j'y arrive" -> "J'avais intérêt d'y arriver" or "J'avais intérêt à y arriver" depend of the context, but the original sentence is not correct in French, so complicated to translate correctly

Note that Avoir intérêt à ce que exists. Ex: tu as intérêt à ce qu'ill y arrive.
    – Greg
    Apr 30, 2020 at 11:30
  • Yes I agree, but "avoir intérêt à ce que" and "avoir intérêt que" it's not the same :)
    – NRE
    Apr 30, 2020 at 12:55
  • i didn't translate it..i got it from a song but i didn't understand the meaning because i know that "Avoir intérêt " takes "à" not "que" and i made a lot of researches but i didn't find any thing so that's why i asked here
    – Zuko
    Apr 30, 2020 at 14:25
  • Avoir intérêt à ce que and avoir intérêt que are actually the same expression but with different language registers.
    – jlliagre
    Apr 30, 2020 at 16:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.